Beer-Marinated Bison NY Strip Steaks with Peppercorn Sauce
I just love this marinade for steaks. The beer does wonders for the flavor and the lime juice tends to brighten up everything! This will always be better if you take the time to marinate overnight but rest assured 6 hrs will get the job done also. The peppercorn sauce with shallots and wine is simply so good it’s ridiculous. Enjoy!
- High Plains Bison
- Serving Size:
- 21.3 oz (605g)
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 360 min
- 4 (8 oz.) High Plains Bison Boneless NY Strip Steaks
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle of dark beer
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco brand pepper sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse black peppercorns
- 1½ cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1½ cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- ¼ cup whipping cream
Cooking Instructions:To Make Strip Steaks:
1. Place steaks in a single layer in a glass baking dish.
2. Whisk beer, sugar, lime juice, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, oil, ginger and hot pepper sauce in large bowl to blend.
3. Pour marinade over steaks in baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
For Peppercorn Sauce:
1. Bring wine, shallots and peppercorns to boil in a medium saucepan; simmer until mixture is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and beef stock and boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 25 minutes.
3. Add whipping cream and cook until sauce coats spoon, about 6 minutes.
(Peppercorn sauce can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Set aside at room temperature)
To Finish Steaks:
1. Prepare grill (medium-high heat).
2. Remove steaks from marinade and grill to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plates and keep warm.
3. Bring peppercorn sauce to simmer and then spoon sauce over steaks.
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...