Bison and Barley Soup
We enjoy this as a late lunch or an early dinner. The velvety feel of the barley adds a lushness to the texture of this soup without the added calories of butter & cream.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 11.7 oz (332g)
- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 45 min
- 1 lb. High Plains Ground Bison
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced ¼ inch
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, diced ¼ inch
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons Beef Bouillon (Better than Bouillon Brand)
- 1 cup medium pearled Barley
- 2 quarts Water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In large skillet sauté ground bison until cooked throughout.
2. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Add canned tomatoes with juice, beef bouillon and barley. Stir until the bouillon is partially dissolved.
4. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Can be made a couple of days ahead. Soup always tastes better after the flavors have been allowed to marry.
Freeze ½ of this batch and use later when time is catching-up to you. Use within 6-9 months of freezing.
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...