Bison Beer and Cheddar Bratwurst with Sauerkraut and Onions
The perfect bite will yield crunchy sauerkraut and sautéed onions with spicy mustard. This is a brat lover’s dream recipe.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 11.4 oz (324g)
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 10 min
- 5 High Plains Beer and Cheddar Bison Bratwurst
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 package refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
- 5 whole wheat hoagie buns
- whole grain mustard to taste, if desired
Cooking Instructions:1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add bratwurst and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until sausages have reached an internal temperature of 160° or 5-7 minutes.
2. Add butter to a non-stick pan and set heat to High. Sautee onions until browned, then add sauerkraut continue to cook until warmed through about 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove bratwurst from water and place in buns. Top with sauerkraut and onion mixture.
Dress with your favorite whole grain or ball park mustard.
Chef’s Tip: Sprinkle a dash of caraway seeds into the onions and sauerkraut when sautéing for a different, tasty flavor!
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...