Bison Bolognese with Creamy Polenta
We find this great as an appetizer, or warmed up for lunch with a salad. Creamy polenta with sharp Parmesan cheese compliments the richness of tomatoes, garlic and bison.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 10.9 oz (308g)
- Prep Time:
- 45 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 120 min
- 1 lb. High Plains Ground Bison
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 carrot, washed peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup extra fine ground semolina or corn meal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cooking Instructions:To Make Bolognese:
1. In a heavy bottomed skillet, add all of the vegetables and olive oil.
2. Sauté over medium high heat until the onions become translucent, stirring frequently to prevent burning and to facilitate even cooking. About 10 minutes.
3. Add ground bison and cook 8-10 minutes until browned and crumbled-up.
4. Add fresh thyme and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low.
5. Add tomato paste, milk and ½ cup water. Stir well and continue to simmer for 1½-2 hours to develop the flavors and aromatics.
To Make Polenta:
1. In medium saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil with a healthy pinch of salt.
2. Whisk in corn meal quickly while the water is boiling.
3. Turn off heat and continue to whisk 2-5 minutes to prevent burning as the corn meal thickens. (Be careful of the corn meal mixture because as it cooks it can bubble-up and splatter and you do not want to get any on your hands as it will burn and stick!)
4. Whisk in Parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately topped with the Bison Bolognese and enjoy!
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...