Bison Sliced Beer and Cheddar Bratwurst with Pasta Shells, Mushrooms and Cheese Sauce
Pasta shells in a beer and cheddar sauce with Beer and Cheddar Sausage….you gotta be kiddin me! This is just one mouthful after another of cheesy, beery goodness.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 11.6 oz (328g)
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 25 min
- 3 High Plains Bison Beer and Cheddar Bratwurst, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 (16oz.) package dried pasta shells
- 1 (10oz.) button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, finely minced
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- Pinch dry mustard
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3oz. beer
- 4oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash Worcestershire sauce
Cooking Instructions:1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add bratwurst and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until sausages have reached an internal temperature of 160° or 5-7 minutes. Remove bratwurst from water and keep warm. Reserve water.
2. Cook pasta in reserved water over high heat stirring often. Cook pasta until tender about 5-7 minutes. Stir in sliced mushrooms at the last minute and then drain immediately but do not rinse.
For Cheese Sauce:
1. In a heavy 4 quart saucepan add butter and onion and sauté over medium high heat until onion begins to caramelize, stirring constantly about 3-5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour and dry mustard over onions. Cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add milk and beer all at once, whisking quickly to prevent clumps. Simmer, whisking occasionally about 5 minutes.
4. Add cheese all at once and stir constantly until cheese is melted about 3-4 minutes. (do not boil).
5. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
Add cheese sauce to bratwurst mixture and enjoy.
Chef’s Tip: Add 1 teaspoon of horseradish to cheese sauce to spark up the flavor and give the dish a little kick.
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...