Charred Romaine Spears with Grilled Bison NY Strip and BBQ Vinaigrette
The charred romaine makes this a great dish for those who like all things BBQ. The BBQ Vinaigrette and the salad garnishes can be made ahead of time and will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days until you are ready to grill. This is a great time-saver to help you get a delicious dinner ready on those busy work days!
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 12.3 oz (350g)
- Prep Time:
- 50 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 30 min
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 avocado
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. of blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 large heads of Romaine lettuce cut in ½ lengthwise
- 2 (10 oz.) High Plains Bison NY Strip Steaks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Cooking Instructions:These first two steps can be prepared ahead of time and will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days until you are ready to grill. Keep all of the ingredients separate. If you do these steps ahead, do not cut the avocado until you are ready to eat because it will oxidize and turn brown.
To make BBQ Vinaigrette:
1. Combine BBQ sauce, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and pepper. Wisk to combine and set aside.
For Salad Garnishes:
1. Cut radishes into quarters.
2. Cut cucumbers into 2 inch julienne strips.
3. Remove pit and skin of avocado then cut into thick slices or chunks.
4. Thinly slice ½ of a medium red onion and crumble the blue cheese.
To Make Grilled Lettuce Spears and the NY Strip Steaks:
1. Preheat grill on high for 15-20 minutes.
2. Brush the flat side of the romaine spears liberally with the BBQ vinaigrette and place on grill BBQ side down for 5-6 minutes. Remove immediately to prevent too much charring and return to refrigerator to keep cold.
3. Toss NY strips in 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, pepper and sea salt. Char on grill 4 minutes the first side, and 3 minutes on the second side or until you can see the juices from the steak coming to the surface. Remove from the grill immediately and place on a platter to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
4. Assemble the salad with the garnishes and dress the romaine with additional BBQ vinaigrette if needed. Slice the NY strips thinly just before serving. Enjoy!
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...