Corn Cakes with Spicy Ground Bison and Poached Eggs
We love poached eggs and this recipe is easy enough to enjoy, but yet different enough to be a real treat for breakfast or brunch.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 16.6 oz (472g)
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 20 min
- 1lb. High Plains Ground Bison
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4oz. fat free refried beans
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 3oz. plain fat free, or reduce fat yogurt
- 12oz. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar your favorite prepared salsa
- 4 eggs
- cilantro for garnish
Cooking Instructions:To Make Ground Bison Mixture:
1. Season bison with garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper.
2. Cook over medium-high heat until the meat has crumbled about 3 minutes.
3. Add refried beans and continue cooking, stirring until the beans are hot and the bison is cooked through about 2-3 minutes. Shut off stove and keep this mixture warm.
To Make Corn Cakes:
1. Add box of Jiffy corn muffin mix to a mixing bowl with the egg, yogurt and ½ of the thawed frozen corn. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix or you will have tough corn cakes!
2. Cook the corn batter on a griddle as you would pancakes. Use a non stick
spray so the corn cakes do not stick. Keep warm.
3. Mix the remaining thawed frozen corn with the jar of salsa and set aside.
To Make Poached Eggs:
1. Poach the eggs to your desired doneness. I like 3 minute eggs as the yolk will still be runny and not cooked through. 4-5 minute eggs will have a firmer to fully cooked center.
To serve: Place 1-2 corn cakes on serving plate. Scoop 5-6oz. of the seasoned bison mixture on top and level a space to place the poached egg.
Garnish with corn salsa and cilantro leaves.
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...