Bison Pot Roast
This is the best way to cook a High Plains Bison Pot Roast. Simple instructions with a wonderful ending! Double the recipe for leftovers and make Hot open faced sandwiches, or slice thinly with mustard for a Deli Style treat.
- High Plains Bison Kitchen
- Serving Size:
- 8.4 oz (238g)
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Total Cooking Time:
- 455 min
- 2 lb. High Plains Bison Pot Roast
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef base
Cooking Instructions:1. Place bison pot roast in a zip lock bag with flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Shake well to coat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
2. Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and preheat for 10 minutes on medium low.
3. Add vegetable oil and brown the roast well on the first side for 7 minutes and the second side for 5 minutes. Remove the roast and set on a platter.
4. Add onions to same skillet and brown well, about 9 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 11 minutes. It’s important for flavor development that the vegetables caramelize.
5. Add one heaping tablespoon of tomato paste and continue to sauté stirring so as not to burn for an additional 2 minutes.
6. Add 2½ cups of water and heaping teaspoon of beef base stir until well mixed. Return roast to pan and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and set stove to its lowest setting and cook for 7hrs.
At this point you could transfer to a crock pot to finish cooking for 8 hrs on low. Or place in the oven and cook on 180 degrees for 8 hrs. Or you could cool this down and place in refrigerator and then place in the oven before you go to bed and cook overnight at 180 degrees.
Bison Cooking TipsHere's how to get the best from your bison...